Wednesday, September 17, 2008

How I Met Hobocat

Did I mention that I also have a cat named Hobocat? My boyfriend and I were down at the local strip mall (yes, we have those even here in Hawaii) near Wal-Mart (yes, we have those too) when we heard a teeny-tiny, barely audible, little kitty meow...coming from above our heads!! I looked up just in time to see a very scared and very scruffy looking kitten drop down from...who knows where!! The poor thing must have been so frightened that she had managed to scale a near vertical wall and just clung on to the side until she couldn't hold on any longer.

Well, of course I had to stop to check on this sad looking kitten who looked even sadder because she now had a bloody gash on her chin from the big fall and she was making the most pitiful sounding cries I'd ever heard! We asked a nearby business for a cardboard box and as soon as I picked her up and put her in the box, she stopped crying and started purring...loudly. It was as if she knew she was finally safe. We had actually planned on dropping her off at the local animal shelter but since it was a Sunday they were closed and we ended up having to take her home with us. It was supposed to be just a temporary situation, but somehow it turned out to be for forever!

This little kitten was covered in dirt, fleas, ticks, and (we didn't know it at the time) a really bad case of ringworm that made all her fur fall out...but she was the sweetest little thing I had ever seen. Her tail was hairless except for this small pouf left at the very tip. My boyfriend commented that it looked like one of those sticks with a bag at the end that hoboes in cartoons carry...and we started referring to her as the hobocat! Anway, from the time that Hobocat arrived at our home she continued purring non-stop for literally three days straight! Actually, she hasn't stopped since. Don't you just love happy endings? :o)

(Oh, except for the fact that about a week later my entire family and I started noticing these extremely itchy, little red dots all over our bodies. It turns out that ringworm is very contagious and we all contracted it from cute little Hobocat. That was over two years ago and I am still battling that fungus till this day. Gross!!)

Well other than that it's a happy ending!!

5 comments:

Just Me said...

awww...whatta little sweetie....I love "saving animals" stories--how sweet (except the ringworm of course!)

ErinT Fashion Accessories said...

Hobocat is adorable :)

Tizzalicious said...

Hobocat is super cute!

Shara said...

Oh, little Hobocat is very cute indeed :-)
I like happy endings as well, hoever, I'm not that keen on Ringworm.... :-/

nikoart said...

Haha...I'm not to keen on the ringworm either! I used to think it was an actual worm too. Fortunately it's not...because that would be to horrible to even think about!

Related Posts with Thumbnails