Thursday, September 24, 2009

Meet Christopher Johnson

It's been almost a year since I found Hobocrayfish almost completely dried out on the sidewalk outside of my house. There is a nearby streambed that flows occasionaly during heavy rains. I'm pretty sure Hobocrayfish must have left its quickly evaporating waters in search of a more permanent place to live. When I found him, the poor little guy was bravely trying to fend off an attack from my brother's cat. Once I rescued Hobocrayfish I realized that I had no idea what I was going to do with him! I couldn't put him back into the stream because I knew that it would be completely bone dry again within a day or two and that would mean certain death for him. The local humane society didn't want him, I had no idea where he came from originally and I couldn't find anyone who would take him for a pet. In the end I decided that since I was the one who found him, I would have to be the one to take responsibility for him. What else could I do? I couldn't just abandon him and leave him to die! I ended up buying him an aquarium, a filter, plants, gravel, food and a ton of other fun stuff and he's been living happily with us ever since. His favorite pastimes include rearranging the driftwood in his tank and eating all my attempts at aquascaping!

However, poor Hobocrayfish was the only one of our Hobo family who had never been given a "formal" name...until recently! I just went to the movies the other weekend to see District 9. I really, reeaaally enjoyed it! I liked it so much that I decided to name Hobocrayfish after everyone's favorite "prawn", Christopher Johnson! :o)

3 comments:

may-may said...

that is a really cute story.. what a lucky crayfish!!

Leslie Hanna said...

Aw, what a great story! Found you through your etsy shop. Cute, cute, cute! I hope to buy, buy, buy one day! :-)

nikoart said...

aww...thanks guys! i never thought of crayfish as cute until the day i found him. he has a lot of personality for a crustacean! :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails